Friday, July 15, 2011

Historic Route 66: Dwight, IL

Yesterday, I decided to turn an ordinary business trip to Springfield, IL (normally about a 2.5 hour drive from my home) into a sightseeing trip along historic Route 66. Over the next week, I'll post photos from that trip.

My first stop was in Dwight, IL, a short 20 minute drive from my house. We've been to Dwight many times for their annual Harvest Days Festival, and I've run in the Harvest Days 5k a number of times. But I had no idea that starting line for that race was located in a park that once served as the hunting grounds for the King of England!

Or that the First National Bank of Dwight was one of only 3 banks designed by legendary architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

There's some other great history in Dwight that I tried to capture in some my photos. I invite you to read more about each of these items at the following Wikipedia:

No comments:

Post a Comment